I decided I was going to make a German themed dinner, so I harvested the red cabbage with the intention of cooking it. But, after I had prepared other parts of the meal, I realized that the recipe for German red cabbage would take more than an hour, and the roast chicken was actually almost done. Oh well, I'll make the cabbage later. When Michael saw it sitting on the counter he got really excited, "It looks like a real cabbage." "Well, it is a real cabbage."
I did prepare a cucumber salad from the first cucumber of the season. And also used some of our fresh dill to make dilled potatos that were yummy, probably the best I've ever made, and I've made damn good dilled potatos in the past.
This afternoon I also removed the broccoli plant. I'll put something else in its place. I left the base of the cabbage plant, as the website I read said that small cabbages could sprout from the remainder of the plant. We'll see. If not, I'll remove it soon and plant something new. The entire south end of the bed is opening up, which was my plan. The okra I seeded after I removed the kale is coming up nicely.
It looks like we'll have Brussels sprouts and yellow squash before the week is out.